Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Need help on buying table lamp for children
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 am by joelsts

» Should i take up the bond with Core Concept?
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 3:06 pm by Mr Jack

» Physios to get prescription powers in England
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 3:06 pm by Mr Jack

» A useful site for Singaporeans to access to healthcare information
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:10 am by Mr Jack

» A practical ‘Teach-Back’ workshop by HPB
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 am by Mr Jack

» Home tuition for primary school
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:28 am by Mr Jack

» Knee injury therapy
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 4:19 am by Mr Jack

» Therapy Assistant Training Assignment 07-24 August 2012
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 am by Mr Jack

» Profile pic
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:44 am by Mr Jack

» SuperBetter App to improve health and wellness
Need help on buying table lamp for children EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 5:38 am by Mr Jack

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 124 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 pm

Need help on buying table lamp for children

3 posters

Go down

Need help on buying table lamp for children Empty Need help on buying table lamp for children

Post by Kenneth_Ng Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:24 am

I wish to know which brands/types of table lamp is best for children to do reading....

Kenneth_Ng

Back to top Go down

Need help on buying table lamp for children Empty Re: Need help on buying table lamp for children

Post by Mr Jack Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:32 am

It is a good question. I've never thought about this question until you asked about this. I've did abit of online research on how to choose a suitable table lamp for children.

Reference:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In summary, my take on how i would choose the right table lamp for my child would be as follow:

1. Depending on how particular you are with decoration, you can take into consideration of the size, design, cost, colors, etc..
- i'm generally not so particular on this.. i would be more keen on the ergonomics of the lamp and the emphasis on the lighting to reduce glare of my child.. so on to the next point.

2. what kind of lamp blub will reduce glare, be bright enough for reading, and should not be flickering...

- it looks like there is alot of recommendation for 3M polarizing light.

The website indicated that you can get for $89 from Gmarket. Personally i think the pricing is acceptable.

Are there any users who can comment their personal experience using this product?

And as a typical Singaporeans who wants more choice, i further search that there are a few more lighting choices including

- Z-Bar LED Lights
- Panasonic Lights
- Philip Lights

Further discussion from other contributors included the following comments:

-----------------------
Z-bar light -- multiple LED lights. Cool factor is high. Stylish but may not be bright enough. Expensive at above $200.

3M - Flicker free. The polarizer helps to reduce glare. moderately expensive at below $200

Panasonic - a normal florescent tube with inverter - It does not flicker similar to the above 2. Also have a tilt sensor that cuts off power. Only difference is no polarizer screen. so might be a bit too glaring for close use. Cheap at about $60.

Philips - never use before but should be similar to panasonic.

Ikea has come out with some LED reading lamps that you might want to check them out first. Or you can buy your own LED bulbs online.
3. Other considerations include the height of the lamp, location of the lamp.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

There was another comment from a contributor which wanted to share
I was researching into which table lamp to buy. There wasnt much information on the net, so this is the result of my research. hopefull this will be useful for someone in future.

There are 3 main technology in table lamp:

1) Inverter

florosence lamps fires at 50-60 times per second. some people can see the frikle. some cant. inverter causes it to fire at 55,000 times per second. this one confirm you cant see the fickle. Panasonic ones have this one. I end up buying 1 with dimmer control from best denki at $158. parisil dont carry panasonis lamps.

2) Polariser

Light coming from the florenscee lamp goes out at all directions and angles. a polariser only allow light that is travelling at 90 degree to the the polariser plate to come out. all other light travelling at other degrees are filtered out. this reduces glare (the reflection on some shiny surface books). Only 3M have this.

3) LED

good thing about LED is less heat generated. Philips and 3M have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
From all these feedback, it looked like 3M is a good choice. If can buy online from Gmarket, it would be cheaper, so should be a good deal.

- all these should be considered with the placement of the lamp which should not block the light for the kid's reading and writing.

good to have parents taking care of their child..

i should also be more mindful of the reading light for my kid..

Among reading light, personally i think it is also important to emphasize to the kid on them playing IPad and restrict TV and computer watching. It is also important to adopt good sitting posture.

Cheers buddy..good question
Mr Jack
Mr Jack

Back to top Go down

Need help on buying table lamp for children Empty Re: Need help on buying table lamp for children

Post by Kenneth_Ng Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:06 am

Thanks for the help... Very Happy

Kenneth_Ng

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Jack Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 am

I've invited an optometrist in for his advice on eye care for our children..

Let's hope for his reply.

Cheers
Mr Jack
Mr Jack

Back to top Go down

Need help on buying table lamp for children Empty Optom

Post by JK Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:32 am

Hi, sunny

There are a lot of table lamp available in the market, like 3M, Philip etc.
As they are made for reading and near work, I believe they are good in general.

You may consider the below aspects when you choose the lamp:

1) Flicker free, otherwise will cause eye fatique
2) Brightness adjustable, coz you have to adjust it depends on your room light
3) Light "color", mimic the natural light i.e. not too white not too orange
4) Diffuser: light emitted can be more even and diffuse, rather than something like spot light, only illuminate one portion of your near object/work

"Polarized Light" is good as it cut off the glare reflected back from the desk and paper surfaces.

I suggest you try it on your own to see if you feel comfortable, if yes, can go for it!
Hope the above can help.

Thanks.
Jason Kwan
Optometrist

JK

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Jack Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:27 am

thanks JK for your input.
Mr Jack
Mr Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth_Ng Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your help.
I have bought the 3M table lamp!!! Smile

Kenneth_Ng

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Jack Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:20 am

what is the feedback of your use on the 3M table lamp? good?

Should i get from gmarket? it looks cheaper there.
Mr Jack
Mr Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth_Ng Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:39 am

Seriously I dont know.
My sons never complain or compliment, as they are still too young.
They will just accept whatever we ask them to do.
But, if you compare the table lamp when you are at the shop (Best Denki, Home-Fix), you can see the difference not only between different 3M models, and also between different brands (Panasonic).
3M do indeed have less glares, as compared to the rest.
I bought 2x 3M CR1000 model, the cheaper model, at SGD 149, at Home-Fix.
How much is gmarket selling?

I dont know about gmarket

Kenneth_Ng

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Jack Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:42 am

Retail price $209 going for $89.

I'll ask my wife to check it out.. maybe will get one..

yesterday night, saw my son rubbing his eyes while playing his flash cards.

Mr Jack
Mr Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenneth_Ng Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:29 am

I will recommend you go to any shops and check for yourself first, before going online to buy... What is medicine for one, might be poison for another... Smile

Kenneth_Ng

Back to top Go down

Post by joelsts Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 am

You can also View a varietyof lights for Kids room at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Smile [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

joelsts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum